Your basement can become a dank, dark, and rather untenable place in your home. This is a natural phenomenon – basements tend to be below the soil line and close to groundwater, so problems with moisture are actually quite common. However, having too much moisture in your basement – to the point where condensation is dripping off the floors and walls – can be a serious problem. Not only can it attract mold – it can also start to cause damage to your foundation. This is why you want to take certain measures to waterproof your basement. You may also want to keep a dehumidifier in your basement as well – just for long-term moisture prevention. Here are five major benefits of waterproofing your basement.
- Increase the efficiency of your home. When you waterproof your basement – by using a company like Stay Dry Basements of CT - you are actually sealing major leaks causing moisture to get inside your home. When you seal leaks, you are effectively preventing air from escaping. Moreover, it will keep the harsh elements out of your home during the warm and cold seasons.
- Boost the value of your home. Anytime that you take measures to seal your home from energy leaks and moisture, you are also boosting the value of your home. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t planning to sell your home – one day your home will be on the market. The last thing you want is a dank basement. If you let the moisture issue go on for too long, it could cause damage to your home and that could mean expensive repairs on behalf of the new buyer. It is better to bite the bullet long before the damage occurs.
- Protect your home’s infrastructure. Moisture can cause all sorts of problems. When it comes to the infrastructure of your home, it can actually start eating away at the basic structure of your home. For instance, the moisture could cause your foundation to crumble or to become weakened. If the moisture problem is prolonged, it could cause a mold and mildew outbreak, which will start to spread throughout your home – possibly through your ductwork – and cause damage elsewhere.
- Improve your quality of living. When you have moisture in your basement, it can be tough to have peace of mind and to enjoy your life in your home. By removing the moisture, you will be able to rest easy knowing that the humidity in your basement isn’t destroying your home. Making sure your basement is waterproofed will give you the peace of mind you need.
- Prevent mold and mildew. Moisture can cause mold – it is as simple as that. Mold spores are very light and can get inside your respiratory system. Some mold spores are actually toxic and can make you very sick. If you don’t remove the mold, it could cause your health to suffer in many different ways. Before you seal your foundation, you may want to hire a mold abatement team to remove the mold completely. In the end, waterproofing your basement is the first line of defense against mold.