Poor indoor air quality can be sickening and even deadly. The problem with indoor air pollution is that many people have no idea that the air inside their home is actually polluted – possibly more polluted than the air outside. This is exactly why it is so important to make sure your home is clean – a clean home is much more likely to have clean air. Moreover, it is important to dust regularly, to clean the ductwork, and it is important to install carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it doesn’t have a scent and it is invisible. Here are some of the risks associated with poor indoor air quality.
- Mold poisoning can cause sickness. Mold is one of the most common indoor air pollutants. Mold grows in spores – typically in cold damp environments that don’t get a lot of light. Some mold varieties can actually be toxic and cause sickness. If you are getting a lot of headaches or if you are finding yourself getting lightheaded, it might be mold poisoning. It is important to have the mold detected and removed.
- Carbon monoxide can be deadly. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas – in highly concentrated environments, it can kill in under a few minutes. The worst part is that you have no idea it’s coming. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include lightheadedness, nausea, and vomiting. You may also start to feel lethargic. This is why it is important to install a carbon monoxide detector – this is really the only way to determine if you have a leak. Countless lives have been saved as a result of installing a carbon monoxide detector.
- Dust can cause allergy flare-ups. Dust is one of the most common indoor air pollutants. When it comes down to it, a little dust won’t hurt anybody, but a lot of dust can actually cause allergy flare-ups and serious discomfort. It can also cause an asthma attack if you are prone to them. This is why it is so important to keep your home clean. You also want to vacuum regularly, especially your carpets. Dust is made up of many different particles and it can be quite irritating in heavy concentrations.
- Benzene is carcinogenic. Benzene is a pollutant that is usually a byproduct of burning fossil fuels. Most gasoline brands use benzene as an additive to enhance its octane count, so if you live next to a busy street or freeway, you may have a high benzene count in your home. This pollutant can be carcinogenic if you are exposed to it for long durations of time. One of the best ways to get rid of benzene particulates is to use an air purifier.
- Tobacco smoke can cause respiratory issues. Of course, one of the most deadly and toxic indoor air pollutants is tobacco smoke. Tobacco smoke has numerous chemicals and compounds that cause immediate respiratory irritation. In the long term, second hand smoke can cause cancer, heart attack, and stoke. To get rid of tobacco smoke, you should ban smoking from your home and you should install an air purifier to remove the compounds from the air.